Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Electric Grandmother


I lost both of my grandmothers by 1962 when I was only 3 years old so grandmothers really have never been a big deal to me. Well...not until 20 years later when I first watched THE ELECTRIC GRANDMOTHER anyway. Based on I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC by my favorite author, Ray Bradbury, it's a heart-wrenching tale of a type of sentient robot grandmother who comes to live with a family who've just suffered a loss. At first things don't go well at all but...let's just say I'm tearing up just remembering the ending.




The great and somewhat eccentric actress Maureen Stapleton gives a letter-perfect performance in the title role.

Previously the script had been filmed in a shorter version under its original name for a good but not great episode of Rod Serling's TWILIGHT ZONE.


No comments:

Post a Comment